Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Good Times - Really!


by Troy Foster

I’m not even joking.  You’ll think I’m crazy or pulling your leg after you hear about our last few days, but I mean it with all sincerity.

Today and The Day Before

I almost forgot the constant whirring noises of the machines, the bright lights, the doors constantly opening and shutting, and the parade of people coming in and out – just when things get quiet.  But, as I sit here, the familiar sounds of the IVs, heart monitors, and sites of the blinding lights and nurses and doctors asking the same questions as those before them – harken me back to when Kristen and I regularly lived in hospitals.  Today, it’s not Henry, but our little Eli that is sick.  He’s dehydrated, has some stomach things, and is in for observation, tests, and fluids.  Poor little man is sick, but he’s going to be fine soon; I just know it.

We also had a little scare with Eli's Crankaw yesterday.  He was in a car accident that could have been so much worse than it was.  The car wishes that it looks as good as Crankaw.

Last Weekend

Every single member of our family, save me, has been sick with a stomach flu off and on for the last week.  Poor Kristen was hit hard.  So there has been some form of clean up underway at our house at a near constant pace.  Oh, and just in time for our new carpet – that we got a few weeks ago.

Our poor dog, Atticus, has a seizure disorder and that flared up too.  So we have him drugged up pretty good on Valium and Phenobarbital.

The Boys’ Check Ups

Henry and Luke have recently been to the cardiologist and neurologist.  Not terrific news.  Henry’s muscle weakness has gotten more pronounced, and they think that Luke might have an arrhythmia.  Neither of those are critical, but just steps in a direction that we’d rather not take.

So What’s Good?

Now, I’m not going to say that any of this was exciting or something that I hoped would happen.  And, I would probably forgive myself (and that’s saying a lot) for being a bit down, if I was.  But, I’m not.

Maybe I’m crazy, and if that’s what it is, I’ll take it.  However, I like to think that I was open to seeing, and enjoying, the good:

·               Henry, Luke, and I made adventures out of our trips to Cincinnati.  There were secret spies, special lunches, sing-a-longs, and a detour home for a book signing.  The doctors visits happened, and the news is not lost on us.  But, what we all remember is how much fun we had.

·               We’re getting ready for Henry’s Wish trip to DisneyWorld – in between the cleaning.  And when Henry and I went to go get our haircut yesterday, Wendy (a good friend and owner of the shop) said “Keep your money for DisneyWorld.  Let me treat you to something.”  Henry said what I was thinking: “Wow, thank you!”  That was so unexpected, unnecessary, and kind.

·               The way he runs around, you would have no idea that Atticus is having health issues.  He’s enjoying life even though he has some hurdles right now.

·               Even now, as little Eli rests with the medicine and fluid doing its work, I sit here thinking about him, what a hoot he is, what fun he’ll have in DisneyWorld, and even the future.  He’s been cuddly because he’s sick, and extra sweet.  Not things that I would have experienced if things went as I planned today.

·               A good friend of ours is picking up our kids at school, their kids will have fun with ours, and help us out a bit.  People are great.  And it just made me think that we need to get those kids together more often when there isn’t a need.  They are close and no reason not to nurture that.

       My father-in-law, who means the world to so many - is back to doing his paperwork today.  I was so happy to hear that this morning.
 
So, good things are all around.  Sometimes, it seems, we just have to be mindful of them and search a bit harder than other times.  It reminds me of a verse from the Bible that I just read coincidentally – that discussed how we have the choice each day to “choose life” and enjoy it for what it is – that day.  Without worry about the future, dwelling on the past – but enjoyment of today.  Deuteronomy 30:19.

So today – a hard day in a string of challenging ones – I choose life.  And I choose to look at the good, and enjoy what I have today.  I hope that I have the strength to keep making that choice each day.  And remember to do it on the good days too!  If I just take a cue from this kid (pictured below), who could easily choose to be mad, sad, or angry.  But he just keeps on enjoying the good times.



No comments:

Post a Comment