Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Our Super Bowl Experience: Already in the Record Books!


By Troy Foster

I have to admit, the only reason that I’m half interested in the Super Bowl this year is because it’s not far from the town we live in.  Close enough, in fact, to get caught up in all of the pre-Super Bowl activities that have been going on for almost a week now.  They call it the “Super Bowl Experience” in Super Bowl Village.  It’s pretty crazy down there – a bunch of traffic, hard to park, really expensive, crowded – yes, I sound like the old man that I’ve become.  The Andy Rooney of the Midwest.

I’m not though.  Really.  We even went, and took the kids.  But in reaching that decision and having our “experience” in the thick of it, I realized that I had done something that I promised that I would never do again.  I had lost perspective.  Forgotten, albeit for just a short time, what was most important in our life.  And, I don’t mean sports or the Super Bowl.

Since we learned that Henry and Luke have mitochondrial disease, we take each day as it comes.  They have taught us that lesson quite well.  It’s not out of fear, but out of the strong desire to create memories now and enjoy what we have each day.  Something, I think, that everyone could do without learning the lesson in the way that we did.

But, I caught myself.  Kristen and I were talking – about the crowds, the kids’ homework, it being a school night (which was on the flip side of the crowds argument), and the list went on.  It was what I call the “later list.”  Things that we can conveniently put off until later – when we don’t really need to, and just shouldn’t.

We scrapped the “later list,” packed our four excited kids into the car (a couple wondering if we were, in fact, on our way to the Super Bowl itself), and drove down.  Our experience began long before we got to the Experience.  The kids talked with great excitement and anticipation about what we would see and do; half of which (probably more) didn’t happen, but it was exciting to think about.  As was huge crowd of people that we saw, the long ride up the parking garage, and the massive pack of fans when we walked out into it.

Seeing Henry’s face light up when I picked him up to see the adventurers going down the zip line said it all.  It was priceless.  Or when Lily couldn’t wait to send the picture we took of her standing by a Cardinals’ helmet (her Aunt Maria is a cheerleader for the Cardinals).  And Luke, who fears crowds and is quite reserved in these settings, got into the groove, conquered his fears and posed for a picture with his sister.  (I think they picked the Jets because it wasn't as crowded.)  



It sounds very “ho hum,” as I read it back.  No, we didn’t see anyone famous.  We didn’t get to go on the zip line.  We didn’t watch a concert, or play any of the games that they have down there.  It was so crowded that we couldn’t even eat there (which can make for a crabby Foster clan).  But, had an awesome night – because we had an experience, a unique experience together.  One that the “later list” almost prevented.  I won’t let that happen again!

For those of you not lucky enough to go to the Super Bowl or even the pre-Super Bowl experience, we hope that you create your own every day with your loved ones.  And don’t let your “later list” get in the way.

For inspirational stories on perspective, please take a look at Three Candles, written by Henry’s dad.  Funds go to support Henry’s Hope (www.henryshope.org), and the book has gotten all 5-star reviews on Amazon!  Check it out at www.threecandlesbook.com, or purchase on Amazon or directly on the website.

No comments:

Post a Comment