Tuesday, July 5, 2011

I Love a Parade


By Troy Foster

Yesterday, we celebrated the Fourth of July by heading out to a local community’s parade – probably like hundreds of thousands of people, if not more.  But unlike a lot of folks, yesterday was the first parade that I attended.  As a kid, we just didn’t.  As I got older, the opportunity never really presented itself.  But now that we have kids and friends that have kids, it was perfect.  So, we took our four kids and met our family friends to watch the parade. 

And, I saw it through the eyes of a child in many respects.  Now, I’ve seen parades on TV, but being there is something very different.   You get to see and feel the marchers’ enthusiasm, and despair (when they realize that they aren’t close to being done and it’s just getting hotter).  The sights and sounds of folks celebrating their community is equally exciting.  The Chinese Cultural Center was of great interest to us because of our daughter, Lily.  Seeing the veterans was touching, and it was an honor to salute them – in person.  I even loved the folks throwing candy, and seeing the silly acts pass by.

It was great fun.  And the best part was sharing the same experience, in much the same way, with our kids.

I definitely love a parade.

No comments:

Post a Comment