Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Ticked Off (or In)


This story is not for the weak at heart, and explains why I am so lucky to have met and married my wife.  And, it’s about ticks.

Before we got married, I had an awesome Great Dane, named Cooper.  Cooper was a dream dog.  After a lot of training classes and time and attention, he was well behaved.  He was loving and peaceful too.  So, when I found out that he had ticks, it was really upsetting.  They had burrowed their way into his paws.  Made me sad; so, I quickly got him taken care of.

A few days later, I realized that ticks are not easily disposed of.  I saw some crawling up the wall – full of blood.  It was disgusting, to say the very least.  So, I “bombed” the house.  Cooper was in the clear.  Two days later, however, I saw one, then two, then ten, then 20 – creepy crawly baby ticks on Cooper’s bed.  He had so much repellent on him.  He was safe.  But, I needed these blood-suckers gone.  Bomb number two seemed to do the trick.

After this craziness, Kristen and I continued our romantic dates.  She can tell you how romantic I am.  And, it plays out in this story too, if you don’t believe either of us.   Seriously, we had gotten close quickly, and I had fallen in love.  No doubt in my mind.  So, what was to come was extremely mortifying.

For weeks, I had noticed a weird rash on my chest and stomach.  I kept asking Kristen to look at it (sexy huh), and she refused.  The odd thing to me was that it wasn’t on the surface, and the bumps kept getting bigger.  I waited a few weeks, and it didn’t go away.  So, I went to the doctor.

He looked, and asked me if I had any parasites in the house.  What?  Why would I?  Oh yeah, well Cooper had ticks, I told him.  What he then explained to me has forever been etched on my brain.  He said that the tiny ticks will burrow in hair follicles – into your body.  Where there is plenty of blood.  Gorge themselves, and then they’re stuck.  With that, he stuck a needle in my chest and drained a couple of these fat ticks.  I almost threw up – just like you did in your mouth just now.

At the end of my visit, the doctor gave me a prescription of what turned out to be napalm for your body.  He told me to rub it all over my body – and anyone who had been in the house for an extended period of time. 

Enter Kristen.  I invited her to lunch (romantic), gave her the scoop, and asked her if she could pick up the napalm.  When she told her sister, she was accused of being naïve – right like I had that weird kind of chest STD. 

When we got home, I liberally applied the chemical and left it on all night.  And I applied it more liberally in the area that any guy wouldn’t want ticks crawling.  After my skin started to peel, I went back to the doctor.  He treated my chemical burns (2nd or 3rd degree – doesn’t matter), and I had to treat it for months to come.

Though I had already decided to ask Kristen to marry me, I knew then and there that no one else would put up with me, laugh with (and at) me – like Kristen.  Even when she gets ticked off!

1 comment: