Friday, July 22, 2011

I'm Ashamed of Myself Today, Politically Speaking

But, I think it's who I am.  Read together, does that mean, I'm ashamed of who I am?  I hope not.  Don't think so.

I'll take a quick step back.  Someone (actually two people) that I care about dearly (who will remain anonymous for obvious reasons) have decided to run for Congress.  Announcement(s) soon to come, but this is about me, remember?  Stop thinking about them.  They'll be in the limelight soon enough.

Anyway, knowing a thing or two about Congressional campaigns and having worked for Congress Members in DC and in the District, I offered my help.  They accepted.  I will have significant roles in both campaigns.  Until I get fired (see below for reasons why).  And, as an aside, I am not really fond of that many people.  Nor do I truly support many folks politically.  I genuinely love both of these people; two of the most genuine, honest, smart, and hard working people that I know.  Having worked on the Hill, I am also certain that both of them will make excellent Members of Congress.

Back to me.  I discovered today that I may have multiple personalities (not really, of course, though some of you might not be surprised by the actual diagnosis).  There's Kind Troy, Daddy Troy, Boss Troy (#1 - Nice), Boss Troy (#2 - Not Nice).  And there's Political Troy.  He hasn't been around for awhile, and I forgot about him.  This morning, I remembered.

Political Troy is not a bad guy.  He may even be the proverbial "good guy."  He is determined, focused, gets things done, and is bossy.  Really bossy, precise, and expects perfection - for his candidates/members.  You'll hear Political Troy talk about deadlines, checklists, his disappointments and expectations.  Political Troy wants things done now, and perfectly.  Generally, that's how he gets them.  When he doesn't, there are ramifications.  (Political Troy has even been known to be a little bossy with his candidates/elected officials.)

There is a reason that Political Troy is successful, and that his candidates tolerate him.  He demands these things, and gets them - for his candidates and the people that they represent.  He's the "behind the scenes" guy, the heavy, the enforcer, the detail guy - because the candidates can't be.  Their jobs are even more important.

But today, I also realized that Political Troy is kind of a jerk.  He's not patient, tolerant of many mistakes, and is more directive than a teacher.  Though he never raises his voice (no Troy does), his looks may be worse.  Those who do well love Political Troy - because he loves them.  Those who don't do well learn the hard way.

So, today I struggled a bit with how I reconcile this, sometimes jerk, with the other nice Troys (except for Not Nice Boss Troy - who is necessary sometimes).  I decided that Political Troy has to be the way he is; I wish he didn't.  As a warning, if you run into him and get a look or told what to do or whatever, just remember Political Troy is doing this because he believes in the candidates.  And thinks that the constituents, Congress, and the country will benefit from them being elected.  Good cause, good cause.  Oh, and if you're not doing something productive, get out of his way.  (Go to my house - because Political Troy isn't allowed there.  My kids have never even met him.)

No comments:

Post a Comment