Sunday, December 25, 2011

My Newt Gingrich Story Involves Sweat - Not What it Sounds Like


Sweatin’ on The Speaker

by Troy Foster

Of the House, that is.  Many moons ago, I worked for a Congressman on the Hill.  When the House Republicans signed their “Contract with America,” it was a big buzz in Washington.  So, I decided to get my picture taken with the newly elected Speaker of the House, Newt Gingrich.  Signed up for a time and everything.  Then, so unlike me, I got lost in work and realized that I was late.  Late for the Speaker.

So, I booked it.  Me and running don’t go together – so, it was probably a sight.  I had to run two buildings over.  Only problem – it was hot and humid.  When I start sweating, I can’t stop.  So, I arrived, fully drenched.  The good news is that he wasn’t on time.  I stood and waited by these red, expensive looking curtains.  Realizing that I couldn’t wipe my sweat on my suit (without it being in the picture), I quickly wiped my head on the Speaker’s curtains.  Very absorbent.  I helped pay for them, right?  And it’s only sweat.


Got the picture!  Still looked sweaty.  Speaker Gingrich signed the picture, "Your friend, Newt."  I know that's his form, but it made me feel like my sweat incident wasn't an issue.  So in this close primary race, I have to say, that's a factor.  Not decisive, but who wouldn't want a friend that forgives (or overlooks) your social trespasses in the White House.



Next issue we'll cover how I accidentally borrowed THE Marshall Papers - and not on purpose.


No comments:

Post a Comment