Thursday, January 12, 2012

I Love My Honey Badgers!

By Troy Foster


Someone recently told me that I'd been living under a rock because I had not seen the hilariously-narrated Honey Badger video.  Ironically enough, it was a friend in Paris that called me out on it.  Even he had seen it.  (As an aside, I'm hopeful that there are some of you reading this that have no idea what I'm talking about and you should really check it out – as 32 million other people before I did this morning.  Link is The Crazy Honey Badger (original narration by Randall).

After watching this video, it is safe to say that I absolutely love the Honey Badger.  It may be one of my favorite animals.  Don't get me wrong, I'm afraid of them and don't want to see one up close, but am a big fan for one simple reason – it doesn't let anything take it down.  The bees sting it, but it just swats them away to get to its meal.  The snakes climb the trees to get away from it, but it runs right up after it.  And – even when it's bitten by a poisonous snake, he just takes a little nap and gets up like nothing happened and continues to munch on the snake.  Honey Badgers are determined, focused, courageous, brave (ok a little crazy), and unimpeded in their efforts to get what they want.  What is theirs.

Then, I realized that I know at least three Honey Badgers.  Our little Henry is certainly a Honey Badger.  He doesn't eat snakes (and, as you know, he really doesn't eat much).  But, in the face of adversity, he kicks butt first and doesn't worry about taking names.  He's been that way his whole life – all four years of it.  When he couldn't walk, he got around by scooting on his butt – pushing his I.V. pole around wherever he needed to.  When he needed to assert himself, he didn't mind using that apparatus as his tool.  When his speech became harder to understand, he turned it into a game of charades and showed us what he meant.  When he started to need regular breathing treatments, he turned it into special fun time with his older brother and sister (who assist him as his nurses and doctors).  When he couldn't eat real food, he made the best of his few safe foods and made experiments with the other foods (these remain some of the best pieces of art work that I have seen). When his vision deteriorated, he wasn't worried about not seeing – he made a project out of picking "cool" glasses.  When he is tired, and as he grows more and more tired, he fights like the dickens to stay awake – and makes very efficient use of his playtime when he is up.  He just keeps on fighting – my little Honey Badger.  

My wife is also a Honey Badger.  Thankfully, not with me.  But, given what she deals with - masterfully, I might add – she has pushed on in so many other aspects.  She's grown her law firm.  She's running for office.  And she is such an involved mom to all four of our kids.  Never, and I mean never, does she say no when they want to read a book, sit and talk, or just hang out.  Even when it may be a little manipulative way for the kids to just stay up, it's time with them and that's what matters.  Kristen fights every day to make our family better – in big ways – but also the very little ways that generally go unnoticed.  And, like the Honey Badger, she never forgets her mission – one being to laugh and make those around her do the same thing!
 
Wow, two Honey Badgers under one roof!  I'm lucky.  But what makes them different than the Honey Badger is that they are always smiling, always seeing the bright side, and always looking for the good.

The third Honey Badger that I'm proud to call my friend is from my hometown, and we went to high school together.  Tara continues her battle with aggressive brain cancer.  I don't know how many times she's been told that the cancer might win, but too many.  And what does Tara do – she fights.  She has taken the traditional treatments and done others.  Her tumors have shrunk and the doctors don't believe it.  I do, and if you knew Tara, you would too.  Because, quite simply, she's a Honey Badger.

For me, it's not whether the Honey Badger beats every animal it encounters.  Don't misunderstand – it usually does and I love when it kicks butt.  Some vicious animal could come take the Honey Badger and win the fight.  That is the reality.  But, almost as important, is the fight and the spirit the the Honey Badger had with each and every fight.  Each and every day.  I see my Honey Badgers fighting like that – ferociously and steadfastly – each day.  So, they are winners.  And for those of us lucky enough to be around them, we are all winners.

Go hug your Honey Badger today and maybe become one!  Please pray for mine!

To read more about Henry and this remarkable and inspiring little boy, please check out the book written about him.  Three Candles is now available.  You can purchase via http://bit.ly/ApAs3j or if you want an autographed copy (Henry loves this), email Henry's Hope at lenochs@fosterslawgroup.com.  

No comments:

Post a Comment