Sunday, January 18, 2015

Stealing the Marshall Papers

by Troy Foster

Is there a statute of limitations on this, I hope?  Anyway, here goes.  When I was in Washington, they released the papers of deceased (and first Black) Justice Thurgood Marshall.  When they say “release,” they mean that they are under lock and key at the Library of Congress.  Only Members of Congress and their staffs could go sneak a peek – for the first few months.  So a friend and I took advantage.  It was pretty interesting.

As we left, the alarms beeped.  We looked around.  Nope, didn’t have anything.  The library staffer looked, and thanked us for stopping.  I was annoyed.  That night, I unpacked my book bag that I took with me to work.  In it, I found a two-inch stack of Justice Marshall’s handwritten notes.  What?  Of course, only the handwritten ones.  Perfect.


Without sleeping all night, my mission returning them began early.  I had thought of what I’d say, how I’d apologize, and planned it out.  Hoping not to get arrested.  I walked into the Library, signed in, and saw the papers in the same station where I left them – with no one there.  I sat down and unloaded them.  Then realized this was covert – so had to stay a bit pretending to read them.  One of the more nerve wracking, yet silly experiences in my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment