Friday, January 23, 2015

Sweatin’ on The Speaker

by Troy Foster

Of the House, that is.  Many moons ago, I worked for a Congressman on the Hill.  When the House Republicans signed their “Contract with America,” it was a big buzz in Washington.  (For those of you that are too young to remember this, please don't leave me comments to that effect; I get it - I'm old.)  So anyway, I decided to get my picture taken with the newly elected Speaker of the House, Newt Gingrich.  Signed up for a time and everything.  Then, so unlike me, I got lost in work and realized that I was late.  Late for the Speaker.

So, I booked it.  Back then, me and running didn’t go together – so, it was probably a sight.  I had to run two buildings over.  Only problem – it was hot and humid.  When I start sweating, I can’t stop.  So, I arrived, fully drenched.  The good news is that he wasn’t on time.  I stood and waited by these red, expensive looking curtains.  Realizing that I couldn’t wipe my sweat on my suit (without it being in the picture), I quickly wiped my head on the Speaker’s curtains.  Very absorbent.  I helped pay for them, right?  And it’s only sweat.

I got to thinking about this run to the Speaker's Office when I was talking with friends about literally running for Congress.  I've always loved the idea of making a difference; and even age has not broken that spirit and drive!  Oddly, and maybe telling, I've gotten much better at running.  (Shout out to my trainers/coaches at Orange Theory Fitness.  I know, I can't help myself - whenever I have the opportunity, I thank them.  But they deserve it.  Really.  Ok, I'll shut up.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment